David Spade reveals how Chris Farley came up with classic 'Fat Man in a Little Coat' scene from 'Tommy Boy'
On Monday night, David Spade appeared on "Conan" and he and Conan O'Brien remembered working with Farley on "Saturday Night Live" in the show's '90s heyday. Spade was Farley's close collaborator, and O'Brien was a writer on "Saturday Night Live."
According to O'Brien, Farley was just as "wild and crazy" as he was on TV. "Chris was all of that," he said.
Spade remembered how Farley could never let go of the much-beloved "fat guy in a little coat" routine.
"He'd go, 'David, turn around,' and I'd go, 'If this is 'fat guy in a little coat,' it's not funny anymore," Spade said. Sure enough, Farley fooled Spade and ripped his coat.
"Fat guy in a little coat - don't you quit on it!" Farley said, according to Spade.
Eventually the two put the routine into their movie "Tommy Boy," and it became the best-remembered scene in Farley's brilliant comedy career cut short.
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Some people are apparently ditching their iPhones for a foldable Razr model. Yes, the kind that was popular 20 years ago.
- Adani Group repays loans worth $2.65 bn to complete prepayment programme
- Sensex, Nifty50 likely to open in the red amid volatility: Adani group, SBI Cards, Indigo among stocks to watch
- Henkel doubles down on India as hair care market at an inflection point – to evaluate laundry segment later
- IKIO Lighting IPO opens today: 10 things to know before you subscribe
- Best flagship phones in India in 2023