Elon Musk Tells Colbert The Real Reason He Wants Us To Go To Mars
Comedy Central / screenshot
"That's fantastic," Colbert replied. "Why, though?"
It's not an unreasonable question. Anyone who has seen pictures of Mars's barren landscape may wonder why - beyond reasons of futuristic thrill and scientific exploration - private individuals would ever want to go to the Red Planet.
Musk cited two main reasons.
First, he said, if humans become "a multi-planet species, humanity as we know it is likely to propagate into the future much further than if we are a single-planet species." In other words, if and when Earth becomes uninhabitable, human civilization would still be able to continue if we've established settlements on other planets, like Mars. It's "life insurance, collectively," said Musk.
But that practical argument aside, Musk admitted that he's far more motivated by a second reason: "It would be the greatest adventure ever... really exciting and inspiring." It may be a "fixer-upper of a planet," said Musk, but he's confident "it's possible to transform Mars into an Earth-like planet."
Watch the full clip of their Mars discussion below.
- Crypto FAQs answered — everything you need to know about crypto regulations, trading, taxes and CBDC in India
- Google and Microsoft hiring interns in India — Check out eligibility, job descriptions and other details
- AWS appears to be down, and it's taken popular services like Ring smart-home systems, Netflix, and Disney+ with it
- Twitter acquires Slack-like communication app Quill
- Sensex rallies over 700 points in early trade; Nifty tops 17,350 — HCL Tech, Infosys, Bharti Airtel, Tech Mahindra, L&T, Reliance Industries and ICICI Bank
- Realme GT 2 Pro with Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 to launch in India on Dec 9, could be priced over ₹59,500
- Here’s how you can make voice and video calls from the Gmail app
- Army helicopter carrying senior defence officials crashes in Tamil Nadu