Facebook put the brakes on spending at the end of the year
Facebook clamped down on spending in a big way in the last three months of the year.
The company's operating expenses were down sequentially and year-on-year in all categories, as can be seen in the chart below. The spending discipline no doubt helped Facebook deliver a big earnings upside, topping even the most bullish analyst EPS target during the fourth quarter and resulting in $1.5 billion in net income.What's interesting is that 2015 was supposed to the year of investment for Facebook. The company had warned investors early on to expect a big uptick in spending, as it invested in new efforts like virtual reality and mobile messaging.
NOW WATCH: Hidden Facebook tricks you need to know
- Brands like Burberry and Armani as well as online retail help Asia’s second richest man bag record retail profit
- Madhya Pradesh Assembly budget session between Feb 22-Mar 26
- Reliance Industries Oct-Dec 2020 earnings were below estimates
- Reliance Jio’s profit grows 15% but new subscribers are the lowest in 7 quarters
- Popular devotional singer Narendra Chanchal passes away at 80