Ford and Walmart are teaming up to test delivering products with self-driving cars
- Ford announced on Wednesday that it is partnering with Walmart and Postmates to explore how the companies can use self-driving vehicles to deliver products in Miami-Dade County in Florida.
- Ford expects to test delivery of items such as groceries, toiletries, pet food, and other consumer products.
- As part of the program, Ford will be testing various vehicle designs to see what works best for shipping different items.
"Over the next couple of months, we'll be working closely with Walmart to understand its operations, identify what goods we can feasibly transport, and pinpoint any issues that may need to be addressed to successfully deliver orders via self-driving vehicles," said Brian Wolf, director of business development for Ford Autonomous Vehicles, in a company blog post.Ford has said it aims to roll out a self-driving fleet of vehicles for a ride-hailing service by 2021, but the company also has ambitions to use autonomous technology to make a big push into logistics.
In February, Ford announced that it would be partnering with Domino's to test its autonomous vehicles in Miami for delivering pizza.
Wolf said in the company blog post on Wednesday that Ford has made more than 1,000 deliveries in their "initial phase" of self-driving vehicles, and that its partnership with Walmart will only help it in its endeavor to bring self-driving cars to market in a way "that people actually want to experience."As part of the program, Wolf also said it will be testing various vehicle designs to see what works best for shipping different items.
"Together, we'll be using research vehicles, designed to simulate an autonomous experience, to gather crucial data about consumer preferences and learn the best way we can conveniently connect people with the goods they need," Wolf said in the company blog post.
- Paytm IPO: Vijay Shekhar Sharma may not remain the promoter of the company he founded 21 years ago
- Whether it's half a million or three million — 'low skilled' IT jobs in India are definitely at risk
- Best fitness bands for men in India in 2021
- After Google noticed a lack of diversity in most ads it surveyed, it has now launched a toolkit for marketers to help make advertising more inclusive
- Tata Motors and Tata Power have jointly set up India's largest solar carport, aims to reduce 7,000 tonnes of carbon emissions