French 'Survivor' Doctor Commits Suicide Following Contestant's Death
Young contestant Gérald Babin died while competing in his first challenge on the first day of the French reality show after he suffered cardiac arrest during filming in Cambodia.
As a result, Costa, who had worked as a doctor for 20 years, felt his efforts were diminished by the press in what he called misleading stories.
“Unjust accusations and assumptions have been made against me," he continued in the note published on Le Parisien's website, which he requested be made public. "I am sure I treated Gerald with respect as a patient and not as a contestant.”
Contestant Babin’s family announced Monday they will seek damages on the basis of “illegal conditions” and “breaches of health and safety,” according to their lawyer, who is seeking all of the footage from the production company as evidence."French authorities have also opened a preliminary investigation into the circumstances surrounding his treatment and death, and may pursue manslaughter charges," according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Dr. Costa's note, which he wanted made public, was left on the below hotel stationary:Lettre Thierry Costa - Recto Advertisement
said in a statement Thursday: "We have learned with dismay that Dr. Thierry Costa passed away in Cambodia today. His high level of professionalism and humanity towards participants and production teams has always been unanimously recognized.”Advertisement
- 1 million tons of contaminated radioactive water still plagues Japan nearly a decade after the Fukushima nuclear disaster
- Maharashtra government partners with Google to provide remote learning to 23 million students
- Tamil Nadu reports 5,684 COVID-19 cases
- Maharashtra adds a records 11,514 COVID-19 cases and witnesses 316 deaths in a single day
- Two-wheeler sales in India could contract by 16-18% in FY2021, says ICRA