Goldman's Top Economists Just Answered The Most Important Questions For 2014 - And Boy Are His Answers Bullish
Below we quickly summarize them, and provide the answers.Here we go.Advertisement
1. Will the economy accelerate to above-trend growth? Yes, because the private sector is picking up, and there's going to be very little fiscal drag.
2. Will consumer spending improve? Yes, because real incomes will grow, and the savings rate has room to decline.3. Will capital expenditures rebound? Yes, because nonresidential fixed investment will catch up to consumer demand.
4. Will housing continue to recover? Yes, the housing market is showing renewed momentum.5. Will labor force participation rate stabilize? Yes, but at a lower level that previously assumed. 6. Will profit margins contract? No, there's still plenty of slack in the labor market for this to be an issue.Advertisement
7. Will core inflation stay below the 2% target? Yes.
8. Will QE3 end in 2014? Yes.9. Will the market point to the first rate hike in 2016? Yes.Advertisement
10. Will the secular stagnation theme gain more adherents? No. With the deleveraging cycle over, people will believe less in the idea that we're permanently doomed.
So basically, every answer has a bullish tilt. The economy will be above trend, margins will stay high, the Fed will stay accommodative, and inflation will remain super-low. Wow.
- Seven more COVID-19 deaths in Rajasthan
- Navtez Bal to lead Microsoft's public sector business in India
- How Vikas Dubey scripted his Bollywood-style arrest
- ITDC signs MoU with AIIMS to strengthen COVID-19 protocols for its properties
- IMD issues 'red alert' in Uttarakhand for heavy rainfall in the next two days