Google just led a $60 million investment in a startup that solves every business owner's biggest headache
Launched three years ago, ZenPayroll aims to reduce the pain and room for error for business owners who hand-process payroll.
The San Francisco-based company offers a cloud-based system to automate tax calculations and payroll payments. 10,000 small businesses already use ZenPayroll's web-based services.
"We are proud to welcome Google Capital to the ZenPayroll community. Not only does Google exemplify the power of technology to improve people's lives, they also share our core belief that people are the most important part of every business," ZenPayroll's CEO and co-founder Joshua Reeves said.
ZenPayroll, which is valued at $560 million, says it processes billions of dollars in payroll annually, and by the end of this month, will work with businesses in every US state. And it's not just its client base that's growing - its employee count is too. At the beginning of the year, ZenPayroll had 60 employees. Now, it has about 84 employees, and by the end of 2015, it plans to have 300.
"Josh and team have built an incredible business and a product that customers love that can solve a huge pain point for millions of businesses," Laela Sturdy, a partner at Google Capital, told Business Insider about the Series B round. "We're looking for growth-stage companies that have Google-sized aspirations in their industries, technology with huge long-term potential, and great management teams. ZenPayroll fits the bill across the board.
The startup is popular with top Silicon Valley CEOs too. A list of angel investors in the company, disclosed in November, reads like a Who's Who of Silicon Valley. CEOs of companies including Stripe, Evernote, Eventbrite, Instagram, and WordPress have all invested in the company's $20 million Series A round; Ashton Kutcher, Jared Leto, and founders of tech companies including PayPal, Nest, Mint, Twitter, and Reddit also participated.
- Slice payments app spies on photos, audio records and call history, says Google
- More than $100,000 raised for loyal Burger King employee of 27 years in GoFundMe campaign after video shows him getting 'goody' bag as reward
- Tesla is laying off workers who only just started and withdrawing employment offers as Elon Musk's job cuts begin
- Towards a Greener Footprint: Prioritising Carbon-Neutrality Makes Good Businesses Sense! Are Indian Firms Making the Transition?
- Netflix confirms an ad supported tier is coming to its streaming service by year end
- Accenture, Cognizant could see revenue growth but a strong US dollar could spoil the party
- Kharif sowing is off to a weak start with extended dry spells and floods
- Best ladder for home use in India