Here's How Much Real Estate A Million Dollars Buys You In Every Major US City
How much housing you can buy with a million dollars very much depends on what city you are looking to buy in.
According to Knight Frank data cited by CNBC's Robert Frank, a million dollars goes a lot further in Cape Town than it would in Monaco.
But what about in the U.S.?
We looked at housing list price data from real estate brokerage Movoto.com and real estate marketplace Zillow.com. The diagram below shows the number of square feet of housing that you can buy for $1,000,000, based on the median price per square foot in each city:
Business Insider/Andy Kiersz, data from Movoto and Zillow
With a median list price of $666 per square foot, San Francisco's real estate boom limits a million dollars to buying about 1,500 square feet. On the other end of the spectrum, the median list price in beleaguered Detroit is just $12 per square foot - 55 times cheaper than in San Francisco.
Considering all five boroughs, the median price per square foot in New York City is $424. Looking just at Manhattan however, that price jumps to an astronomical $1,538 per square foot, leading to $1,000,000 buying just 650 square feet.
- Government-backed attackers are using Predator spyware to record audio, hide apps and more — here's everything you need to know about it
- Delhi High Court seeks Centre's stand on Jana Gana Mana-like status to Vande Mataram
- Best colognes to prevent odour
- Malaysia cuts chicken exports as food nationalism spreads across Asia
- Meta brings updated 3D avatars across Facebook, Messenger and Instagram — here’s how to use them
- Delhivery IPO allotment
- Reliance Retail
- Bitcoin Mining
- Reliance JIO
- Best Deal on Smartphones
- Unacademy offline Classes
- Hubble Space
- 5G Phones Under Rs. 20000
- Paytm Market Value
- Reliance Industries
- Venus Pipes Tubes IPO
- Hiring in BEL
- Adani Green
- Paradeep Phosphates balance sheet
- Spam Calls in India
- Whatsapp Reaction