Here's The Single Biggest Threat To Inflation
The logic is simple. When there are few places to rent, landlords will jack up prices.
The chart to the right is featured in Shepherdson's new monthly chartbook. We reached out to him to ask him why this is the biggest threat. Here's what he had to say:
...it's by far the biggest component of core CPI, accounting for about 40% of the index. Rents reflect the vacancy rate (very low and falling) and wage growth (very low but about to accelerate, given the drop in unemployment and the pressures evident in surveys like the NFIB) so the risk is substantially to the upside. Rents are much bigger driver of inflation than all the things people think of as indicative of price pressures, like clothing, tech gadgets, prescription drugs, cars, etc.
Shepherson has cautioned about falling vacancy rates being a threat to inflation before. Here's a quote from a note he put out in August (emphasis Shepherdson):
...a sharp and continuing decline explains the gradual upward pressure on rents, which we think are likely ro rise much faster once wage gains begin to pick up. Landlords are likely to be prime beneficiaries of faster wage gains, in our view, because tenants clearly have a shrinking pool of other options. Remember, rents and rent-equivalents account for 40% of the core CPI.
- I bought a car wash at 22 years old. It basically runs itself — and I make $5,500 in passive income each month.
- Companies say Elon Musk's plan to charge $1,000 for month for Twitter checkmarks is 'outlandish' and makes them 'meaningless'
- A lawyer who quit to become an OnlyFans performer says she now makes more money and is happier
- Sensex, Nifty50 likely to open in the green amid positive global cues: HDFC, Tata Motors among stocks to watch
- A fifth of Indians feel sleepy at work, future worries keep ‘em awake
- Top ChatGPT 4 plugins: From math, physics and language tutor to vacation planner
- Most of India's statewide heat action plans are inadequate to deal with local risks, new CPR report says
- CIRP initiated in cases of DHFL, ABG Shipyard, Bhushan Power & Steel