Here's Why George Lucas Didn't Want Harrison Ford To Play Indiana Jones
Breaking into the 'biz was easy for the Oscar nominee - at first.
After landing the role of Han Solo in George Lucas' 1977 "Star Wars" while he was still working as a Carpenter, Ford found himself the star of a franchise and in 1980 appeared in "Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back."
But when Ford was up for the lead role in Steven Spielberg's 1981 Indiana Jones flick, "Raiders of the Lost Ark," getting the part wasn't as easy.
"Star Wars" creator George Lucas happened to co-write "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and didn't want Ford to appear in yet another one of his films
"I said, 'oh Steven [Spielberg], he's been in two of my movies. I don't want him to be my Bobby De Niro,'" Lucas recalls saying about about Spielberg's casting suggestion in a "Making Of" featurette.
So with Lucas not wanting Ford to be in all of his projects - similar to the way Robert De Niro has been in many of Martin Scorsese's movies - the production set up a screen test with a fresher face: Tom Selleck.
Watch Selleck's screen test as Indiana Jones below:
Let's watch part of that again.
Both Lucas and Spielberg thought Selleck was perfect for the part and were ready to shoot with him as the lead.
Unfortunately for Selleck, the actor had already filmed a pilot for a CBS detective show called "Magnum P.I." and couldn't get out of the contract.
"They [Spielberg and Lucas] held the offer out for about a month," Selleck told the Late Show with David Letterman. "The more they held out the offer and talked to the network the more the network said no... so I had to kind of move on."
And while Lucas may have initially not wanted Ford for the role, in retrospect Lucas said in a bonus feature for the film that "He was perfect for the part. I can't imagine anybody else in that part."
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- Cryptocurrency investment 101 — here’s how to do your own research (DYOR) and invest in the right digital asset
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- Electric bus makers on a roll as states like Maharashtra and Karnataka send in large orders
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Advantage Club Hiring
- Best Indian Companies
- Dussehra Messages
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- Nykaa IPO
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons