Here's Why We Pronounce 'Kansas' And 'Arkansas' Differently
We can thank the French. Arkansas was named for the French pronunciation of a Native American tribe, while Kansas is the English spelling of a similar one. Since the letter "s" is silent in French, we pronounce Bill Clinton's home state "Arkansaw."
Technically, Kansas and Arkansas stem from the same basic root, kká:ze: the native root for the Kansa tribe, often thought to mean "people of the south wind."
Kansas is named for the Kansas River, which is named for the Kansa tribe. It's the English spelling though, so naturally, we pronounce the final "s."
The French, however, left their mark on Arkansas' pronunciation. French explorers learned of a sect of the Quapaw, a Native American tribe in the territory now known as Arkansas, from the Algonquians, who called the people akansa (most likely related to the Kansa tribe).
Various French documents and books spelled the state's name various ways - Arkancas, Akansa, Arkanceas. But "it is absolutely certain that the name as pronounced by the Indians was the same as if pronounced in our language Arkansaw," according to the "Publication of the Arkansas Historical Association.
The "s" on the end is simply a French addition then and a silent one at that. "It is clear, then, that the name Kansas, is spelled in English, while the name Arkansas is of French orthography, and that the two names should not be pronounced alike," according to the Arkansas Historical Association.
There's evidence that some people tried to say the "s" (as in Ar-kan-zus) after the formation of the state government. In 1881, the Arkansas state legislature ruled on that matter, noting the "confusion" about the state's pronunciation. Lawmakers formally endorsed the "saw" ending, discouraging any "innovation" to pronounce the state similarly to Kansas.
- 'Harry Potter' had a chance to represent Indian kids like me, but all we got were Parvati and Padma Patil's atrocious Yule Ball outfits
- Manchester United owners are getting drawn to the world's biggest cricket league – here's why
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- Here’s how to install Android apps on Windows 11
- Singapore arbitrator favours Amazon’s claim, Future-Reliance’s ₹25,000 crore deal put on hold longer
- Google lowers Play Store fees from 30% to 15% for developers
- Best compact entry-level bluetooth speakers with mic
- Twitter study reveals its algorithms amplify political tweets from right-leaning users