Here’s how the rest of the world feels about India ahead of the general elections
- Improving India's stature on the world stage is one of main planks of India's current prime minister's reelection campaign.
- Most Indians also believe that India's importance in global affairs has increased over the past 10 years.
- But data shows that other countries other world don't share the same opinion.
The world’s largest democratic event, the Indian general election, is coming up. And, most Indians feel that during Modi’s tenure in the country, India’s importance has grown on the global stage. But, most other countries around the world don’t seem to share that opinion, according to a new report by the Pew Research Center (PRC).
Modi has been highlighting the growing stature of India on the world stage as an impetus to his reelection.
Congratulations to every Indian as PM Shri @narendramodi ji received the prestigious Seoul Peace Prize-2018 today f… https://t.co/LRk2xOTNKb— Chowkidar Arun Jaitley (@arunjaitley) 1550829979000
But most people around the world don’t see a significant change in India’s role when it comes to world affairs.
Only majorities in six countries — nearly a third of the 26 countries surveyed — around the world believe that India’s role has grown in the past 10 years. And, most of those countries are developed economies like France, Japan and South Korea.
Citizens in a few countries like Brazil and South Africa even believe that India’s stature on the global stage has waned over the years, viewing India as less of a global power.
But, in most countries around the world, people believe that India is just as important as it was before. It’s not that India is more or less important, but just as important as it has always been.
In comparison, 70% of countries around the world feel that China plays a more important role in the world today than it did 10 years ago. But despite its increasing importance, only 19% believe that it would be better for the world to have China as a leading power.
Even when it comes to Russia, most countries believe that Russia’s global role has grown rather than shrunk over the past decade.
5 charts that tell you what India cares about ahead of 2019 elections
Modi may not take the fall for rising unemployment in India, latest opinion poll shows
Social media platforms present India's Election Commission with 'Voluntary Code of Ethics for the General Elections 2019'
- I'm not going to movie theatre until there's COVID-19 vaccine, says Spike Lee
- Seven returnees test COVID-19 positive in Nagaland
- Uttarakhand's Covid-19 tally increases to 802— Dehradun accounts for 25 fresh cases
- AB InBev reevaluating short, mid-term plans; seeks reduction in high tax on beer
- SGPGIMS develops RNA -based cheaper and faster test for COVID-19