How O.J. Simpson's Car Chase Set Record Sales At Domino's Pizza
View all Offers
The famous incident, which happened 20 years ago today, was also the busiest day Domino's Pizza ever had.
Thanks to captivated audiences' refusal to leave their televisions, Domino's would report record sales on June 17, 1994.
"We benefited from the fact that it was essentially 'dinner time' on the West Coast and late evening on the East Coast," Tim McIntyre, vice president of corporate communications for Domino's, told Business Insider.
"People were so enthralled by the bizarre nature of what was happening, they didn't want to miss a moment, so instead of going out to dinner or making dinner, many people ordered pizza," he said.
McIntyre said the event was as big as a Super Bowl Sunday, although he declined to provide sales figures from the day.
Jean-Marc Giboux | Getty Images
Domino's has doubled its retail locations since 1994, with more than 10,000 stores around the world.
But McIntyre said he does not attribute the success to any fame gained from the Simpson car chase.
"Other than our being mentioned in the media on every 10th anniversary of this odd event, it had no impact on our brand whatsoever," he said. "We're certainly not going to give O.J. Simpson any credit for the success we enjoy in our global brand today. It was a bizarre blip, and nothing more."
- WhatsApp won’t work on these phones from November 1: Check the full list
- Shiba Inu hits another all-time-high — now more valuable than Adani Enterprises, Tata Steel and Tech Mahindra
- Shiba Inu is not only bigger than Dogecoin — it’s now bigger than XRP, Polkadot and USD Coin as the seventh-biggest player in the market
- Best budget external hard disk drives under ₹4,000 in India
- IRCTC will lose a chunk of its revenue to the Indian government starting next month
- EaseMyTrip makes its first acquisition in 13 years to strengthen its hotel offerings
- Portugal''s political fate uncertain after govt budget defeat
- Battlegrounds Mobile India gets Dune-themed rewards in new crossover