How the creator of the 'trollface' meme turned an MS Paint cartoon into a six-figure payday
And more than that: It's an incredible profit-generating machine for its creator.Kotaku reports that the black-and-white cartoon face was originally drawn by 24-year-old Carlos Ramirez, and since 2008, he's made more than $100,000 off of his creation.Advertisement
Ramirez drew the cartoon 7 years ago and posted it to anonymous imageboard 4chan, and it immediately exploded in popularity.
The internet is littered with millions of derivatives and copycats (just search Google for "trollface"), and has even been referenced in mainstream media like Adam Sandler movie posters and the comic Deadpool, Kotaku points out.Such is the life of a meme: Sudden, meteoric growth, before slowly tailing off over a period of years. What sets Trollface apart is what Ramirez' mother encouraged him to do next - copyrighting the cartoon.
was hit with a wave of online abuse after being painted as a "scumbag." And Ghyslain Raza, who is better known as "Star Wars kid," was on the receiving end of years of bullying after a video of him "goofing around" with a fake lighsaber made its way online.Here's a link to the original DeviantArt comic where it all began »Advertisement
- Red bricks don’t just make walls, they can now power your house too
- India approves another $1.2 billion for defence over and above the $5.5 billion last month
- Best gaming consoles in India
- IT and media employees are in no hurry to get back to office — not until there are proper policies in place
- Here’s a look back at Rahat Indori’s famous poetry and shayari