How to eat vegan and vegetarian at Taco Bell
- Taco Bell recently launched a test of a vegetarian menu in its locations in Dallas, Texas.
- But Taco Bell has long been known as a vegetarian- and vegan-friendly fast-food chain. According to the chain, its menu already includes 38 vegetarian ingredients, resulting in more than eight million possible combinations.
- Here are some of the best vegetarian and vegan menu items you can get at Taco Bell.
These days, you don't even need to trek to a local health food store, Whole Foods, or Trader Joe's to find option after option of animal-free fare. Even fast-food chains like Taco Bell now offer a long list of options.
No matter your reason for going meat- and/or dairy-free, when the craving for Tex-Mex hits, you can rest assured you'll find a solid selection of options at Taco Bell. Some locations now even have dedicated all-vegetarian menus.
Click on to learn more about the best vegetarian and vegan menu items at Taco Bell:
Everything on Taco Bell's menu is customizable.
The options are endless.
Some locations have a dedicated vegetarian menu.
Outside of that menu test, Taco Bell already has some items that work well for vegetarians. There's the Power Menu Bowl, a packed bowl of seasoned rice and a double portion of black beans with all the fixings, including guacamole, reduced-fat sour cream, pico de gallo, and lettuce. Remove the sour cream and guac and go from vegetarian to vegan.
The cheesy bean and rice burrito is a popular combination of warm nacho cheese sauce, refried beans, creamy jalapeño sauce, and seasoned rice, all wrapped in a soft flour tortilla. Simply remove the cheese to go from vegetarian to vegan.
Kind of a taco, kind of a quesadilla, but also kind of an omelet, the breakfast soft taco — without bacon — is filled with eggs and real cheddar cheese. It's a filling and inexpensive breakfast option for vegetarians.
Taco Bell's classic bean burrito has beans, red sauce, onions, and cheese, making it a cheap and filling option to load up on protein. Simply remove the cheese to go from vegetarian to vegan.
Swap in a crunchy taco's beans for the seasoned beef and add in some tomatoes to go with the lettuce, and you'll have a satisfying, crunchy afternoon snack. This option also comes with cheese for non-vegans.
Simply remove the cheese and chipotle sauce to turn Taco Bell's spicy tostadas into a vegan snack. At only $1, it's hard to beat the price. It comes with beans, tomatoes, lettuce, and red sauce. For non-vegan vegetarians, you can also add in guacamole.
The Fiesta Taco Salad — without meat — is a hearty option that comes with salsa, tomatoes, beans, seasoned rice, lettuce, and, for non-vegans, cheese and sour cream. There are also crunchy red strips of tortillas. However, Taco Bell notes that the shell is not considered AVA-certified because it's made in frying oil that might also be used to cook meat.
You don't usually think dessert when thinking about Taco Bell, but the fast-food chain does have a popular sweet treat. The Cinnamon Twists are not for vegans (they're made with milk and eggs), but it could satisfy a vegetarian's sweet tooth. Like the Fiesta Taco Salad, however, this dish isn't considered AVA-certified due to the frying oil that is used to cook it.
Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes are a great vegetarian option, though they are not an AVA-certified one. The filling dish is made with potatoes, nacho cheese, and sour cream. Popular upgrades include more cheese, jalapeño sauce, guacamole, and/or onions.
Vegetarians will love the Mini Skillet Bowl, an all-day breakfast option that is not AVA-certified. Made with potatoes, egg, cheese sauce, and pico de gallo, many people also choose to add jalapeño sauce, guacamole, and/or sour cream.
- Air Canada, Emirates, Air India and other airlines resume flights to Toronto and the tickets are priced up to ₹5 lakh
- I flew on a $65 million Gulfstream G650ER private jet and saw why it's a favorite of tech billionaires like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos
- The collapse of Evergrande, one of China’s largest home developers, is “not a Lehman moment” but the fear may haunt steel and metal stocks in India
- Zee-Sony merger: Here’s what Sony is really getting from Zee Entertainment
- The creation of a bad bank helps banks but not necessarily the bankrupt
- Two years after the PMC Bank crisis, depositors of stressed banks to get up to ₹5 lakh by December
- Tech Mahindra, Tata Motors and other auto, realty stocks keep indices in positive range
- Gig workers move Supreme Court seeking social security benefits from Zomato, Swiggy, Ola and Uber