How to organize a bedroom closet in 4 easy steps - and the tools you need to do it
Insider Picks writes about products and services to help you navigate when shopping online. Insider Inc. receives a commission from our affiliate partners when you buy through our links, but our reporting and recommendations are always independent and objective.
- Nobody wants to have a messy, disorganized closet, but it's all too easy for things to spiral out of control.
- That's why we've put together this guide on how to organize a bedroom closet and the tools you need to do it.
- Once you know how to organize your closet, you can also check out our buying guides to the best hangers, closet organizers, and storage containers.
It's the stuff of sitcoms, but not so funny in real life: a closet so overstuffed with accessories, clothes, shoes, and miscellaneous couldn't-think-of-anywhere-better-to-keep-them items that just opening the closet door releases an avalanche of belongings.Or more commonly, your closet isn't yet at risk of injuring you when you go to fetch that cute new sweater, but actually finding that sweater is a chore, as it's now buried among the other sweaters teetering on the narrow closet shelf.
Although it's a problem often ignored, a bedroom closet that's a disorganized mess definitely can slow down your mornings, cause you to waste money on clothing or shoes, and perhaps worst of all, creates a low-simmering anxiety whenever you contemplate the contents. You tell yourself, "I definitely need to deal with this," start to feel overwhelmed at the seemingly insurmountable task, and then close the door, promising yourself that you'll deal with it "later."
That's why we're here to tell you that later has arrived, it's actually not nearly as tough to tackle a disorganized closet as you fear - the worst part by far is the anticipation - and the satisfaction you'll feel when you open those closet doors to reveal a neatly organized wardrobe is priceless.
Here's what you need to organize your closet:
- Nonslip hangers: Zober Nonslip Velvet Hangers
- An organizing system: Rubbermaid Configurations Deluxe Custom Closet Organizer
- A shelving unit: AmazonBasics 4-Shelf Shelving Unit
- A hanging organizer: Simple Houseware 5-Shelf Hanging Organizer
- A shoe organizer: Seville Classics 3-Tier Shoe Rack
- Closet shelf dividers: Evelots Closet Shelf Dividers
Keep reading to learn how to organize your bedroom closet in four easy steps:
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.