I ditched Google Maps for Apple Maps, and I'm not going back
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
The new version of Apple Maps finally offers public transit directions, which many rival navigation apps have included for years.The new public transit directions in Apple Maps are accurate and handy. I've been using them to get around New York City for the past week, and I haven't been tempted to switch back to Google Maps once.
Still, if you do live in a city where Apple Maps public transit directions are available, here are a few of the most useful features worth trying.
Apple mixes turn-by-turn walking directions with public transit routes
When you reach the bus or train stop closest to your destination, sometimes it can be confusing to figure out exactly where you need to walk. This is easy enough to find using Google Maps, since you can simply look at the map to view your location and see which direction your walking in.But Apple Maps makes this even easier by telling you exactly where you need to turn. Tapping the "Details" button next to your stop reveals a list of turn-by-turn walking directions to help you get to your destination faster.Notice how Google Maps only tells you how far you need to walk in its set of directions.
Apple also tells you exactly where you should be exiting the train station
But Apple Maps tells you which signs you should look out for and where you should exit the subway. It maps out the subway station so that you can clearly see where all the exits are.
Transit view in Apple Maps looks nicer
- HUL aims to achieve 100% plastic waste collection this year
- India now allows you to avail a discount on flight ticket if you are not carrying a check-in baggage
- Leader of Opposition, 4 other Cong MLAs suspended for rest of Budget session over alleged manhandling of Himachal Pradesh Governor. PTI DJI SMN ASH ASH
- Levi’s ad with global ambassador Deepika Padukone aims at inspiring a culture of sisterhood and celebrate individuality
- Property tax in Telangana can now be paid via WhatsApp