I tried the growing cult-favorite California chain that makes the 'best burger in America' - here's the verdict
- Habit Burger Grill was voted America's best regional fast-food chain by USA Today readers in a 2019 survey.
- It has a loyal following and is growing at breakneck speed, nearly doubling its locations in the last three years.
- I visited a Habit Burger Grill in Teterboro, New Jersey, to try the so-called best-tasting burger in America.
- While I was impressed by some of the food I tried, the famous Charburger didn't live up to its reputation.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
I hadn't heard of Habit Burger Grill until I stumbled across the name in an article on underrated fast-food chains.
Apparently, the California-based burger chain I'd never heard of has earned numerous accolades and a diehard fan following. It was even voted the best regional fast-food chain in a 2019 USA Today reader's survey.Habit's Charburger was voted the best-tasting burger in America in 2014, and the chain continues to rank as one of America's favorite restaurants, according to Consumer Reports.
It's also growing at breakneck speed.
Founded in 1969, Habit Burger Grill has increased its number of locations by over 60% in the last two years. From 172 restaurants in 2017 to 278 locations worldwide in 2019, Habit is continuing its rapid growth with another 35 restaurants opening in 2019.
Lots of those new locations are outside of Habit's native California. The chain now has locations in 13 states and six restaurants in China.
I decided to visit the Habit Burger Grill in Teterboro, New Jersey, to see what all the fuss was about, as well as to try the so-called best-tasting burger in America: