Incredible photo shows a weasel 'riding' a woodpecker
On Monday, ecologist student at Virginia Tech, Anne Hilborn tweeted out this crazy photo by east London hobby photographer Martin Le-May of a weasel 'hitching a ride' on what appears to be a European green woodpecker:
If you've heard of the term fight or flight, this is a rare case of both. The weasel wasn't really riding the bird, but trying to eat it.Weasels are notorious nest robbers. And it looks like Le-May got the perfect shot following a confrontation between a weasel and the woodpecker.
"The bird flew across us and slightly in our direction; suddenly it was obvious it had a small mammal on its back and this was a struggle for life," Le-May told Buzzfeed. That's when he snapped the picture. Eventually, the bird landed back on the ground and started struggling with the weasel.The weasel became temporarily distracted by Le-May and his wife, which gave the bird the chance to escape.
"The woodpecker left with its life. The weasel just disappeared into the long grass, hungry."
- Indian grooming startup Bombay Shaving Company gets ₹45 crore investment from Dettol maker Reckitt Benckiser
- Top stocks to watch on January 28
- Farmer unions cancel Budget day march to Parliament, but say their agitation will continue
- 9 people died and 16 hospitalised out of 23,28,779 people vaccinated till now in India, but Additional Secretary, Health, said that none of the deaths are linked to the Covid-19 vaccination
- Naidu reviews arrangements for Budget Session of Parliament