India's first ever 'happiness minister' is wanted on murder charges
- Lal Singh Arya is in charge of Madhya Pradesh state's Department of Happiness.
- He is now a suspect in a 2009 murder of an opposition politician.
- Police haven't been able to find him.
India's first and only "happiness minister" is wanted on murder charges.
Lal Singh Arya was named a suspect in the 2009 murder of an opposition politician, Makhanlal Jatav, the Times of India reported.
The 53-year-old has previously denied the charges, according to the BBC. Arya is the top official in the Department of Happiness, a ministry run by the Indian state of Madhya Pradesh.
An Indian court issued an arrest warrant for Arya last week, but police have yet to find him, the Times of India reported. They have searched three locations across central India: Bhopal, Gwalior, and his native town of Gohad.
The central Indian state of Madhya Pradesh created the department of happiness last year in a bid to "counsel people on how to be always happy," the state's chief minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan said, according to The Telegraph.
It hoped to achieve its goals through yoga, meditation, "moral science," and other lessons, Shivraj Singh Chouhan told the BBC earlier this year.
Local police told the Agence-France Presse news agency they were "positive" they would find Arya by his scheduled court appearance next Tuesday.
- Indian startup founders celebrate Paytm’s success as company posts first operating profit
- Kim Jong Un abruptly reappears after 36 days out of the spotlight and orders North Korea to 'prepare for war'
- OpenAI makes a ChatGPT-like tool called Codex that can write software. Here's why Codex won't replace developers and will instead create more demand for their skills.
- PM Modi endorses Indian Oil's 'Surya Nutan' solar cooker at India Energy Week! Should you switch?
- Adani Power's Q3 profit plunges 96% to Rs 9 cr as expenses rise
- After an Ather 450X catches fire, the company says its battery is safe — fire was due to a wiring harness issue
- CCTV camera for home with mobile connectivity for 2023
- Best smartwatches under ₹3000