Inside the fabulous life of the royal family of Monaco, who rules over one of the wealthiest countries in the world, is richer than the Queen of England, and lives in a 12th-century palace
Arnold Jerocki/Getty Images
- The royal family of Monaco is headed by Prince Albert II and his wife of nine years, Princess Charlene.
- They rule over one of the wealthiest places in the world, where 32% of the population is made up of millionaires.
- The family, estimated to be richer than the Queen of England, attends ritzy galas with heads of state and Hollywood stars and goes on skiing holidays in Switzerland.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Ruling over this small yet rich city-state are the Grimaldis, the Monaco royal family headed by Prince Albert II, the son of Prince Rainier III and former actress Grace Kelly, who died in a car accident in 1982.
Prince Albert is worth an estimated $1 billion and reportedly owns about a quarter of the land he reigns over, making the Monaco royal family one of the wealthiest in the world. He married Charlene Wittstock, a former Olympic swimmer and teacher from South Africa, in 2011, and the couple shares two children. The prince also has two other children who were born out of wedlock.Take a look at the lifestyle of the Monaco royal family.
The Monaco royal family rules over one of the smallest yet wealthiest nations in the world.
Approximately 32% of the Monaco population is made up of millionaires.Advertisement
The official residence of the royal family is the Prince's Palace of Monaco.
As a child, Prince Albert, who is the son of Prince Rainier III and former actress Grace Kelly, spent summers on his family's boat.Advertisement
Prince Albert and Princess Charlene's nuptials in 2011 were one of the most lavish and expensive royal weddings ever.
The couple's royal lifestyle includes attending star-studded galas such as the Monte Carlo Gala for the Global Ocean.Advertisement
The royal couple also attends the annual amfAR gala in Antibes, France, which takes place during the Cannes Film Festival, the glamorous film festival attended by Hollywood's elite.
They also rub shoulders with Hollywood A-listers at a television festival created by the Monaco royal family itself.Advertisement
And the Monaco royals get the best seats at some of Monaco's most high-profile events, like the Monaco Grand Prix, where the 1% cruise in on helicopters and party on multimillion-dollar yachts.
The prince and princess also host global heads of state, such as President Xi Jinping of China and his wife, Peng Liyuan.Advertisement
Prince Albert and Princess Charlene's four-year-old twins, Princess Gabriella and Prince Jacques of Monaco, are already "style icons," according to the press.
While there aren't many reports of Monaco royal family vacations, Princess Charlene recently took the royal twins on a trip to New York City.Advertisement
The princess has also shared photos and videos of her children on what appears to be a family ski trip.
- Best smart plugs and power strips with Wi-Fi support
- Here’s the list of upcoming bike launches in August 2020
- Best non-electric water purifiers for home
- Airtel-Amazon team up to take on Jio-Microsoft in the battle for India’s cloud market
- Here are the highlights of Prime Minister Modi's speech from Ayodhya