Legendary rapper Nas just invested in a company that makes protein bars out of crickets
Nas, one of the greatest rappers of all time, has invested in a company that makes protein bars out of crickets.Exo is a Brooklyn-based startup that is trying to change the way we think about eating bugs. The company just closed a $4 million round of Series A funding led by Accel Foods - including Nas - bringing its total funding to $5.6 million.
They currently have the highest sales in the insect snack space, which admittedly is not particularly crowded.Exo's pitch is that "cricket flour" - basically ground-up crickets - is much better for the environment that other animal sources. Cows, for example, produce about 100 times the amount of greenhouse gas for the same amount of protein, according to Exo.
A few months back, I tried a sampler pack of their protein bars, which each contain approximately 40 crickets. Here's what it was like:
- CarbonWatch — India’s first mobile app to calculate your carbon footprint falls short of its promises
- Reddit recovers from a major outage as GameStop shares soar over 100%
- Nureca stocks debut on bourses at 59% premium over IPO price
- How Airtel’s AdTech platform is planning to deliver on the promise of ‘zero ad frauds’ to its clients
- Traffic jam on the Ganga - one of India's largest rivers will now get lane separators to deal with crowded boats