More than 1 billion people now use Google's Chrome app every month
The app for Google's Chrome web browser now has more than 1 billion monthly active users, and smartphone usage is set to overtake its desktop usage, director of product management Rahul Roy-Chowdhury tells Business Insider.That trend has shaped some of the team's biggest ambitions for the coming year: finding ways to make the Chrome experience use less data - like through improving image compression - and encouraging developers to create "progressive web apps" which work in browsers like Chrome, but feel like apps.
Google first launched Chrome nearly eight years ago - it was actually one of the most important initiatives spearheaded by Sundar Pichai, who eventually became the company's CEO.The browser is currently celebrating its 50th update, so Google shared these other stats on just how big Chrome has gotten:
- Best office chairs for working from home
- Delhi unlock: Restaurants to reopen with 50% capacity; malls, markets to open daily, says Arvind Kejriwal
- Budget constraint cannot justify violation of citizens' right to clean environment: NGT
- Weekly crypto roundup: WazirX under scrutiny, El Salvador makes Bitcoin legal tender and more
- BSE and NSE suspend trading in shares of Dewan Housing Finance Corporation Ltd (DHFL) from Monday