More than 300 store closures are announced in a single day, as the retail apocalypse rips through JCPenney, Gap, and Victoria's Secret
- Gap, JCPenney, and Victoria's Secret announced more than 300 store closures over the course of 24 hours this week.
- All three companies reported declining same-store sales during the critical holiday period.
- These announcements will bring the number of planned store closures this year to nearly 4,500.
Gap, JCPenney, and Victoria's Secret announced more than 300 store closures over the course of 24 hours this week, sending a clear signal that the fallout from the retail apocalypse is far from over.
Gap said Thursday that it would close 230 namesake stores in the next two years, as it reported that the brand's same-store sales fell 7% during the holiday quarter. The company also said it would spin off its Old Navy brand.
Earlier in the day, JCPenney said it would close 27 stores in 2019, including 18 full-line department stores and 9 home and furniture stores. The department store chain said same-store sales fell 4% during the fourth quarter.
Victoria's Secret's same-store sales also fell during the holidays, dropping 3% during the quarter. The company said late Wednesday that it would close 53 stores this year, citing a "decline in performance."
These announcements will bring the number of planned store closures this year to nearly 4,500.
- It's never been more clear: companies should give up on back to office and let us all work remotely, permanently
- Amazon is investigating its lawyers for allegedly bribing Indian government officials
- Mossad assassinated Iran's top nuclear scientist using an AI-powered, remote-controlled machine gun, report says
- Durex takes down its latest social media post on the bus scene from Netflix’s Sex Education after internet users call it ‘insensitive’
- Three reasons why this might be a good time to buy Bitcoin
- Sony ZV-E10 vlogging camera with interchangeable lens launched in India
- US, India, Japan, Australia to sign pact for stepping up chip production, reduce dependence on China
- Here’s how to schedule an email in Gmail