Reliance Jio wins another fight – Airtel and Vodafone Idea may have to cough up ₹30.5 billion in fine
- The Department of Telecom has given its approval for a penalty to be levied on India’s biggest telecom giants – Bharti
Airteland Vodafone Idea.
- The duo lost a battle to
Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Jio.
- Jio had registered a case against Airtel and Vodafone Idea for having denied interconnection.
The approval on the penalty was given by the Digital Communications Commission, Department of Telecom’s highest decision-making body. However, the panel has asked the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India to review its initial suggested penalty amount of ₹30.5 billion.
TOP VIDEOS FOR YOU
As the approval on the penalty came in, shares of both Airtel and Vodafone Idea fell by 2.6% and 3.8% respectively.
According to reports, Vodafone Idea and Airtel had both failed to comply with their agreements for interconnection with Reliance Jio because of which Jio users were unable to make calls to users from other networks.
Jio has been increasing its numbers in India. It currently has over 306.7 million users in India. Meanwhile, its competitors, who have a larger user base, continue to feel the pressure from
MSME EXCHANGE 2021Join us in amplifying the voice of over 60 million MSMEs in IndiaJune 28 - 29, 05:00 PM onwards
The magic number that Vodafone Idea, Airtel and Jio are chasing is 50
AdvertisementThe Indian government wants to raise ₹6 trillion from the largest 5g spectrum auction ever
- Cannes Lions 2021: India brings home a Gold, four Silver Lions and three Bronze Lions on Day 2
- E-commerce management platform CommerceIQ raises $60 million, looks to launch India operations by 2022
- Best power banks under ₹ 1000 to buy in India for 2021
- Best business laptops in India for 2021
- India is reportedly mulling over a new crypto tax which could make trading on foreign exchanges more expensive