Roy Moore is asking for campaign donations to fight back against 'vicious' sexual harassment allegations

Read full story

roy moore Brynn Anderson/AP Republican Senate candidate Roy Moore.

  • Alabama's Republican Senate candidate Roy Moore has been accused of pursuing relationships with four teenagers nearly 40 years ago, when he was in his early 30s.
  • One woman accused Moore of touching her inappropriately when she was 14 years old and he was 32.
  • In light of the allegations, Moore's campaign sent out a fundraising email to supporters asking for donations to counter the "Obama-Clinton Machine."
  • Some have defended Moore, but many Republican leaders have already disavowed him and called for him to step aside before the December 12 election.


Roy Moore's campaign for the US Senate seat in Alabama is on life support after four women accused the former district attorney of pursuing relationships with them while he was in his 30s and they were teenagers.

Republican Party leaders, including Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Sen. John McCain, called on Moore to step aside.

Moore, however, rejected the accusations, and is now soliciting donations to fight back against "the most vicious and nasty round of attacks" he's ever faced.

With religious overtones, Moore denounced the "Obama-Clinton Machine's liberal media lapdogs" who reported the story, and rejected the allegations as mere attempts by opponents to smear his image in the run-up to the December 12 election.

"The forces of evil are on the march in our country. We are in the midst of a spiritual battle with those who want to silence our message," Moore's campaign said to supporters in an email, captured by a reporter for the Toronto Star on Thursday.

Despite the allegations, some are still defending him

Some of Moore's supporters are defending him.

Former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon suggested there could be a questionable connection between the sexual misconduct allegations against Moore and the release last year of then-presidential candidate Donald Trump's revealing "Access Hollywood" tape.

"But it's interesting," Bannon said in a recording obtained by CBS News. "The Bezos-Amazon-Washington Post that dropped that dime on Donald Trump, is the same Bezos-Amazon-Washington Post that dropped the dime this afternoon on Judge Roy Moore."

Breitbart News senior editor Joel Pollack also dismissed the story as first reported by The Washington Post.

In an interview with MSNBC's Ali Velshi, Pollack said the outlet packaged the story "with all sorts of other stuff that has nothing to do with the question." He argued that Moore's pursuit of teenage women shouldn't have been included.

"The 16-year-old and the 18-year-old have no business in that story because those are women of legal age of consent," Pollack said.

Here's the full campaign email Moore's campaign sent out on Thursday after the allegations surfaced:

Add Comment()

Comments ()

X
Sort By:
Be the first one to comment.
We have sent you a verification email. This comment will be published once verification is done.