Scientists say these 10 major cities could become unlivable within 80 years
- As global temperatures and sea levels rise, some of the world's major cities could experience unbearable living conditions.
- Cities like Chicago and Delhi have already endured fatal heat waves, which could get worse in the future.
- While climate scientists don't anticipate any location to become fully uninhabitable, they worry that some areas will struggle to support human life.
As scientific projections of the impacts of climate change become more robust, the threats of extreme storms, catastrophic flooding, heatwaves, and droughts have gotten clearer and more frightening.
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) predicts that global temperatures could rise 1.5 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels - the threshold for severe effects of climate change - by 2040. By the turn of the century, temperatures could climb even higher, spelling disaster in some areas.
In the future, cities that are prone to flooding or heat waves could see more severe, and potentially fatal, weather conditions. With this in mind, scientists have begun to pinpoint locations that could become unbearable for humans by the turn of the century.
The following 10 cities might soon struggle to support human life. And for the most part, these areas are already witnessing the devastating effects of climate change.
More than than 3.3 million Miami residents could face catastrophic flooding by 2100.
New Orleans could be underwater as well.
Chicago could see another fatal heat wave at any moment.
Dubai's summer temperatures could reach 113 degrees Fahrenheit after 2070.
Daily temperatures in Abu Dhabi could become unbearable after 2070.
Shanghai could see fatally high temperatures between 2070 and 2100.
Beijing's smog could threaten its livability.
Delhi's residents already suffer from nausea and headaches due to the smog, as well as heatstroke on hot days.
Sea-level rise has Dhaka teeming with refugees.
Lagos is growing rapidly despite the looming threat of sea-level rise.
- From marketing and tech to leadership - learn new skills and explore new possibilities with these Udemy courses
- Facebook and Microsoft aren’t the only ones creating a metaverse — here are five popular coins looking to create digital worlds
- Loaded Lion NFT sells for $1 million — three days after launching at $200
- Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Jio hikes prices of its plans by 21%
- Facebook, Microsoft and others look towards the $1 trillion dollar ‘metaverse’ opportunity — but that contradicts the base philosophy behind Web 3.0
- Paytm Q2 result — Operational revenue crosses ₹1000 crore, loss widens by ₹37 crore
- These Indian states have the highest number of international airports; UP tops the list
- Centre raises Bengal labour budget for creation of 27 cr man-days