Silicon Valley is so expensive, people who make $400,000 think they're middle class - here's what middle class actually is in the 25 largest US cities
Sergi Alexander/Getty Images for Haute Living
- The middle class is defined by the US government in terms of income.
- Middle class Americans earned between $39,560 and $118,080 in 2016, according to Pew, but middle class income ranges vary at the state and city levels.
- Some Silicon Valley residents earning $400,000 consider themselves to be middle class, even though they're far from it.
Residents of Silicon Valley self-identify as middle class, even when their salaries dwarf the true definition.
The Palo Alto Weekly, a local paper in Palo Alto, California, asked residents to report their household income and perceived social class. Eighty-one of the 250 respondents with incomes between $10,000 to $399,999 said they were "middle class."
Middle class continues to be a broadly, and often incorrectly, used term even though it is precisely quantified by the federal government. And while the American middle class has been shrinking for decades, a majority of people still consider themselves part of it. In the case of the high-earning Palo Alto residents, they noted the high cost of living as one of the reasons they identified as middle class.
In actuality, the definition of middle class varies depending on where you live. To get a sense of what it looks like in the 25 biggest US cities, Business Insider pulled U.S. Census data from the 2016 American Community Survey for the largest metropolitan statistical areas (MSAs). For clarity below, we listed the largest city that makes up the MSA.
Below, find out how much income you have to earn to actually be considered middle class in 25 metro areas, ordered from smallest to largest by population.
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- Cryptocurrency investment 101 — here’s how to do your own research (DYOR) and invest in the right digital asset
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- Electric bus makers on a roll as states like Maharashtra and Karnataka send in large orders
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Advantage Club Hiring
- Best Indian Companies
- Dussehra Messages
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- Nykaa IPO
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons