Snowden Wanted To Live In A Country 'With Strong Internet And Press Freedoms' - This Map Shows The Opposite Occurred
As you can see, China is black on this index. Snowden said he wanted to go to Latin America - where only three countries have satisfactory press freedom according to the index - and ended up in Russia, where a disturbing number of journalists have been killed while reporting.So not only did he take the worst possible route from Hawaii to a country with Internet and press freedoms, he now literally lives in a country "where everything I do and say is recorded."
The 2013 map of the global freedom of Internet is quite similar to this one.
Reporters Without Borders
- 1.28 lakh people over 60 years get 1st dose of COVID vaccine on first day
- Chinese hackers target Indian vaccine makers SII and Bharat Biotech: Report
- GST revenue up 7% year-on-year in February to over ₹1.13 lakh crore
- Here is the list of common side-effects of COVID-19, so that you don't panic if you get these
- These are the top 10 likely IPOs scheduled in March 2021