Stephen Hawking gave a priceless gift to filmmakers of the Oscar-winning movie about his life
View all Offers
But playing the part of the famed cosmologist came with a lot of pressure.
Hawking himself, now 73, would be judging the 32-year-old actor's performance.
Focus Features/"The Theory of Everything"
Hawking trekked to London to screen the film ahead of its November 7th release. Before watching the movie, Redmayne told Variety the cosmologist warned: "I'll let you know what I think - good or otherwise.' I said, 'Stephen, if it's otherwise, you don't need to go into details.'"
When the film screening was complete, Hawking was overcome with emotion (via Variety):
AP Photo/Ted S. Warren
After the lights came up, a nurse wiped a tear from Hawking's eye. He called the film 'broadly true,' and even celebrated with the film's director James Marsh and screenwriter Anthony McCarten at a bar where he sipped champagne from a teaspoon. 'He emailed us,' Marsh says, 'and said there were certain points when he thought he was watching himself.'
Hawking was so happy with the movie that he told filmmakers he would allow them to swap the synthetic voice they had been forced to create and replace it with his own, trademarked computerized version. "We spent a lot of time and money trying to reproduce the voice, but we never got it," McCarten told Variety.
Redmayne was thrilled after he heard about Hawking's offer, believing it was a stamp of approval on a performance he still questioned.
"You're just hoping to get there," Redmayne said. "Yet there's this constant frustration - it's always underwhelming, because you never quite make it. But with his specific voice, it's an actor's dream. You're one step closer to the truth."
After Redmayne won the Oscar on Sunday, Hawking posted his congratulations to Facebook:
Redmayne acknowledged Hawking and his family during his acceptance speech:
Thank you. I don't think I'm capable of articulating quite how I feel right now. I'm fully aware that I am a lucky, lucky man. This Oscar belongs to all of those people around the world battling ALS. It belongs to one exceptional family - Stephen, Jane and the Hawking children. I will be his custodian. I will be at his beck and call. I wait on him hand and foot.
Watch the trailer below:
- WhatsApp won’t work on these phones from November 1: Check the full list
- Shiba Inu hits another all-time-high — now more valuable than Adani Enterprises, Tata Steel and Tech Mahindra
- Shiba Inu is not only bigger than Dogecoin — it’s now bigger than XRP, Polkadot and USD Coin as the seventh-biggest player in the market
- Best budget external hard disk drives under ₹4,000 in India
- IRCTC will lose a chunk of its revenue to the Indian government starting next month
- EaseMyTrip makes its first acquisition in 13 years to strengthen its hotel offerings
- Portugal''s political fate uncertain after govt budget defeat
- Battlegrounds Mobile India gets Dune-themed rewards in new crossover