Stocks just suffered through their worst day of 2019. These were the 8 biggest losers in the S&P 500.
- The S&P 500 index fell 3% on Monday as the stock market turned in its worst day of 2019.
- The losses came after China retaliated against the US for hitting the country with new tariffs.
- China's central bank allowed its currency to fall below a key threshold against the US dollar, which compounded trade-war fears among investors.
- Here are the eight biggest losers in the S&P 500 on Monday.
- Visit the Markets Insider home page for more stories.
The escalating trade war between the US and China sent the stock market on a downward spiral to its worst day of 2019 on Monday.The sharp sell-off came after China let the value of its currency slip below a key level on Monday in response to President Trump imposing a 10% tariff on an additional $300 billion worth of Chinese products. Advertisement
The drop follows the worst week of the year for the S&P 500 index, which fell 3.1% for the five-day period ending last Friday after Trump announced his plan to hit China with more tariffs.
Below are the biggest losers within the S&P 500, as of Monday.Markets Insider is looking for a panel of millennial investors. If you're active in the markets, CLICK HERE to sign up.
7. Diamondback EnergyAdvertisement
3. Valero EnergyAdvertisement
2. Wynn Resorts
1. Nektar TherapeuticsAdvertisement
- Another COVID-19 death in Jharkhand, 76 fresh cases detected
- Assam reports 5 more deaths, COVID-19 toll rises to 27
- Odisha reports highest single-day spike of 577 COVID-19 cases, four more fatalities
- Total lockdown in containment zones in West Bengal as COVID-19 cases surge
- Youth NC leader dies due to COVID-19