Stocks just suffered through their worst day of 2019. These were the 8 biggest losers in the S&P 500.
- The S&P 500 index fell 3% on Monday as the stock market turned in its worst day of 2019.
- The losses came after China retaliated against the US for hitting the country with new tariffs.
- China's central bank allowed its currency to fall below a key threshold against the US dollar, which compounded trade-war fears among investors.
- Here are the eight biggest losers in the S&P 500 on Monday.
- Visit the Markets Insider home page for more stories.
The escalating trade war between the US and China sent the stock market on a downward spiral to its worst day of 2019 on Monday.
The sharp sell-off came after China let the value of its currency slip below a key level on Monday in response to President Trump imposing a 10% tariff on an additional $300 billion worth of Chinese products.
The drop follows the worst week of the year for the S&P 500 index, which fell 3.1% for the five-day period ending last Friday after Trump announced his plan to hit China with more tariffs.
Below are the biggest losers within the S&P 500, as of Monday.
Markets Insider is looking for a panel of millennial investors. If you're active in the markets, CLICK HERE to sign up.
7. Diamondback Energy
3. Valero Energy
2. Wynn Resorts
1. Nektar Therapeutics
- Five planets will stage a rare spectacular event in the night sky on March 28
- Sam Altman, who was already wealthy before starting OpenAI, reportedly doesn't own any equity in the company behind ChatGPT
- A 'hole' 30 times Earth's size has spread across the sun, blasting solar winds that'll hit our planet by end of this week
- Microsoft adds 'AI-generated stories' to its Bing search
- Housing sales up 14% annually in Jan-Mar to 1.13 lakh units across top 7 cities: Anarock
- ISRO launches India's largest LVM3 rocket from Sriharikota
- RevFin targets financing 20 lakh electric vehicles in next 5 years
- Torrent Investments not to participate in 2nd auction for Reliance Capital; Hinduja sole bidder