The 15 greatest villains in sport
- Sports can generate feel-good stories showcasing people who have worked all of their lives to achieve something very few ever get close to.
- This is not a list celebrating those stories.
- We've rounded up the cheats, the thugs, and the downright annoying athletes that make the world of sport what it is.
- Shout out to all the villains.
- Visit Business Insider's home page for more stories.
If you like your sports played squeaky clean, then stop here.
But if you live for the chaotic moments from live events and love to watch an athlete attempt to win through apparently wicked means, then this is the list for you.Before we go any further, we should be really clear about what we mean by the word "villain."
This is not someone who gets into serious trouble or has legal problems outside of sport, but rather an athlete who attempts to gain success by being a bit mischievous or controversial.
Rather than steroid scandals, lawsuits, and wanton violence away from the game, this means diving or flopping in soccer, underarm serves in tennis, and outlandish statements made by motormouth athletes.
A villain, for us, is someone you love to hate, and someone you want to watch just to root against.
So, without further ado, here are the 15 greatest villains in sport, listed in alphabetical order by name.