The Crazy Difficult Linguistics Question That 13-Year Olds Are Asked When Applying For Britain's Top Prep School
Eton is one of the oldest and most prestigious
It's also spectacularly difficult to get into. Reddit user ViktorBir posted the examination for the King's Scholarship to the Linguistics subreddit.There are two main ways into Eton after a
One of the questions is a fascinating and difficult linguistics problem, asking test takers to figure out the grammar and syntax of a totally invented
It's similar to tests given to those in the army who want to become signals interceptors, and at the International Linguistics Olympiad.Here's the question. On its own, it's pretty solvable. But keep in mind:
- It's one of four questions on the exam.
- It's not the longest, or the hardest.
- Candidates have an hour and a half to finish them all.
- It's for 13-year-olds.
what Reddit commentators came up for the answers, and what we figured out based on how they outlined the structure of the language: (A)Advertisement
i) Writer = Waldan
ii) The = Hadiii) Offices = BawaltinAdvertisement
iv) And = Sa
(B)i) You are = RazoAdvertisement
ii) He is = Raza
iii) They are = Razaniv) You will write = FawaloAdvertisement
v) He was = Raza ganvi) They were working = Makan gan (C) Advertisement
i) Pe balattin pe London maku = I work in schools in London
ii) Pe had bawalom lata fa = He will teach in the libraryiii) Walo gan sa kawan gan = You wrote and they ateAdvertisement
iv) Had bakawtin pe banar razan gan = The restaurants/eateries were in a stadium
(D)Can have any number of answers, the more creative the better, despite the limited vocabulary. Take a shot in the comments. Advertisement
- State Bank shares surge 9 pc; m-cap jumps Rs 12,272 cr
- Reliance Industries shares close flat
- Heart health of Indians improved during lockdown: Fitbit data
- Video streaming platform forays into health and wellness
- Tata Sons not looking to monetise investments to raise capital: Chairman N Chandrasekaran