The 'Short Suit' Is Finally Going Mainstream
The ensemble looks like a regular suit from the waist up, with a sportcoat over a button-down shirt and sometimes a tie or bowtie. Instead of trousers, however, the suit's bottoms are cropped at the knee.
J. Crew, Topman, Asos, and Barneys are among the retailers selling the short suit this season. They may be taking cues from fashion icon Pharrell Williams, who donned tuxedo shorts to the Academy Awards earlier this year.
"It's definitely having a moment, particularly with younger guys," Jon Patrick, the creative director at menswear company J.Hilburn, told Businessweek.
J. Crew is currently offering four different kinds of short suits that cost around $400.
"We have wanted to make a suit short for a long time but knew it had to be just right for it to look good," reads the product description for one of the suits. "We would like to finally introduce you to the Ludlow short. It has an old-school country club vibe (more Gatsby, less Caddyshack) and is almost guaranteed to win the battle for best-dressed at nearly every summer occasion."
Topman's short suit runs $390. "For a contemporary and stylish silhouette, our skinny fit suits offer a figure hugging and trend-led shape," reads the item's description.The UK-based fashion brand Reiss sells a pair of khaki suit shorts for $130. "Ensure that even on warm days your style remains sharp," reads the retailer's product description.
Reiss recommends pairing the shorts with a plain black crew neck tee, suede driving shoes and a pair of avaiator glasses for a look that says "smart and informal."
For a less traditional look, Barneys New York carries a, $859 Comme des Garcons short suit trimmed with chiffon panels. We think it looks pretty bizarre.
This short suit by Asos definitely less bold, but it's still pretty expensive at $409.
- The worst for Indian startups is yet to come — be prepared for layoffs, unicorn slowdown and startup shutdowns in 2022
- Kellyanne Conway says her husband was 'cheating by tweeting' his disdain for former President Trump in her new memoir
- A SpaceX flight attendant said Elon Musk exposed himself and propositioned her for sex, documents show. The company paid $250,000 for her silence.
- What would happen to Twitter if Elon Musk backs out now?
- Researchers develop a virus that works even when iPhone is switched off
- Supreme Court of India extends time for submitting Pegasus probe report
- Chopper services launched in Goa for tourists, locals
- Both Ambuja Cements and ACC are bet worth investing with strong parent Adani