The Trump administration wants to slap tariffs on $11 billion worth of goods from the European Union - here's the full list of products that could get hit
- The Trump administration announced a plan to place tariffs on $11 billion worth of European goods as punishment for the European Union's allegedly improper support of aircraft manufacturer Airbus.
- While the final list of goods will have to be agreed on with a World Trade Organization arbitrator, the initial list includes a slew of agricultural goods, clothing, and industrial metals.
- Here's the full list of European goods that could get whacked.
US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer announced that the Trump administration plans to slap tariffs on $11.2 billion worth of imports from the European Union in retaliation for the EU's subsidies for aircraft manufacturer Airbus.
The US alleged in a World Trade Organization (WTO) case that the EU's subsidies for aircraft manufacturer Airbus are a violation of international trade rules and harm the US economy. After years of litigation, Lighthizer said the Trump administration decided to make a move to punish the EU."This case has been in litigation for 14 years, and the time has come for action," Lighthizer said in a statement.
"The Administration is preparing to respond immediately when the WTO issues its finding on the value of US countermeasures."
While the tariffs are not finalized and are subject to the decision by a WTO arbitrator, the proposed list includes a wide variety of items ranging from Airbus aircraft to olives, sweaters, and industrial microwaves.
The exact tariff rate has also not been determined and is likely subject to the arbitrator's decision.
Here's the major categories of goods that will be hit:
- Aircraft and aircraft parts (only for imports from France, Germany, Spain or the United Kingdom): Non-military helicopters; passenger planes; cargo planes; fuselages
- Fresh seafood: Swordfish steaks and fillets; salmon fillets, trout fillets; crab meat; crab in shell
- Dairy products: Yogurt; certain types of butter; cheeses including fresh cheddar cheese, fresh Swiss cheese, other types of fresh cheese, Roquefort cheese, Colby cheese, Stilton cheese, Blue-veined cheese, gouda cheese, and Gruyere-processed cheese
- Fruit: oranges; mandarins; clementines; grapefruit, lemons; certain types of limes
- Olive oils
- Prepared seafood: salmon; lobster; herrings; oysters; scallops; mussels; cuttle fish; octopus; clams; Abalone; snails
- Produce: green olives; jams including apricot, cherry, guava, peach, pineapple, others; fruit pastes including apple, mango, papaya, strawberry
- Drinks: juices - including pear and prune; non-mineral water; non-alcoholic beer; chocolate milk; non-orange juice from a single fruit or vegetable; sparkling wine from grapes; certain types of wine; liqueurs and cordials
- Essential oils: oils - including orange, lemon, grapefruit, citrus fruit, peppermint, and eucalyptus
- Leather handbags
- Wooden tools or wooden tool handles
- Paper products: brochures; lithographs on paper or paperboard; pictures on paper
- Fibers and cloth products: yarn - including various types made of cotton, polyester, man-made fibers; carpets made of wool and man-made fibers; blankets; bed linens made of cotton
- Clothing: sweaters made of cotton, man-made fibers, wool, cashmere; ski-suits; women's windbreakers; men's suits made of certain types of wool and artificial fibers; women's pajamas made of cotton; women's swimsuits
- Mineral products: certain types of monumental or building stone; non-roofing slate; articles of cement; certain types of ceramics including tiles, houseware, and mugs
- Glass products: glassware for kitchens, bathrooms, and indoor decorations; certain types of glass fiber yarns
- Metal products: palladium; silver and some silver products; certain products of ferromanganese; products of iron/steel including chains, thumb tacks, nails, and knitting needles; copper alloys; zinc for houseware use or tubes
- Tools: metal tweezers; axes; slip joint pliers; pipe or bolt cutters; screwdrivers; knives including table knives, hunting knives, kitchen knives, and butcher knives; electric tools; industrial microwaves
- Bikes and bike parts: motorcycles; motorcycle parts and accessories; bicycle parts
- Cameras and lenses: projection lenses for cameras or projectors; mounted lenses for closed-circuit cameras; binoculars; telescopic sights for rifles
- Scales: jewelers' scales; electrical balances of a sensitivity of 5 cg or better
- Clocks: non-electric wall clocks; time recorders; non-electric clock movements
- Artists' brushes for cosmetics