The best HomeKit devices you can buy to build your smart home
Insider Picks writes about products and services to help you navigate when shopping online. Insider Inc. receives a commission from our affiliate partners when you buy through our links, but our reporting and recommendations are always independent and objective.
- If you decide to build your smart home with devices that are compatible with Apple's HomeKit ecosystem, you want to be sure that you're choosing the right gadgets.
- We've rounded up the best HomeKit devices you can buy to build your smart home from the ground up with only Apple-approved products.
- You'll want to get an Apple TV or the HomePod speaker to serve as your smart home hub, the Philips Hue smart lights, Belkin's WeMo Mini smart outlet, and the Logitech Circle 2 security camera to start.
- We also have more recommendations for advanced smart home tech like the Ecobee4 smart thermostat and the Schlage Sense smart door lock.
Although the Google Home and Alexa smart home ecosystems might be larger, there's something to be said for an ecosystem of products that all work together perfectly. Apple's HomeKit is the ideal smart home ecosystem to base your smart home around if you prefer a more carefully curated selection of smart home products. All HomeKit compatible products are vetted by Apple and made to work seamlessly together with the same ease that the Mac, iPhone, and Apple Watch all work together.Of course, the HomeKit ecosystem is already pretty big, and it's only getting bigger, so it can be tough to find the right devices for your smart home. That is why we've put together this guide - to help you find the perfect HomeKit devices for your needs.
There are a number of things to consider when buying something for your HomeKit setup. For starters, you'll want to check whether or not you can use the device with HomeKit alone or if you'll need to use the manufacturer's app for setup. For many people, using a third-party app initially won't matter, but others prefer to stick solely within the Apple Home app.
You'll also want to make sure that the devices work with your house's physical setup. Light switches, wall outlets, thermostats, and other similar devices all have to be wired into your home, and different homes might have slightly different wiring setups.
It's also important to keep in mind that to use HomeKit devices outside of your home, you'll need to set up a HomeKit hub. A number of devices can work as a hub in a HomeKit setup, including an Apple TV, HomePod, and in some situations, an iPad. We've noted our favorite HomeKit hub below along with all the other gadgets you might want for your HomeKit smart home.
Here are the best HomeKit devices you can buy:
- Best HomeKit Hub: Apple TV 4K
- Best HomeKit smart speaker: Apple HomePod
- Best HomeKit lights: Philips Hue
- Best HomeKit light strip: Philips Hue Lightstrip
- Best HomeKit switch: Belkin WeMo Mini
- Best HomeKit lock: Schlage Sense
- Best HomeKit dimmer switch: Belkin WeMo Dimmer Switch
- Best HomeKit light switch: Eve Light Switch
- Best HomeKit security camera: Logitech Circle 2
- Best HomeKit non-Apple speaker: Sonos One
- Best HomeKit thermostat: Ecobee4
- Best HomeKit motion sensor: Eve Motion Sensor
Read on in the slides below to check out our top picks.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.