The best college supplies and dorm room essentials
- Sending your kid off to college is nerve wracking.
- The best you can do is impart a few life lessons and outfit your kid's dorm room with all the essentials.
- We've rounded up everything your kid needs for their dorm room from bedding and decor to tech and small appliances.
Chances are your college kid hasn't lived on their own - ever. The thought of sending your kid off to fend for themselves against dirty laundry, piles of dishes, and the other inconveniences of adulthood probably sounds crazy to you, but they've got to learn somehow.The college dorm is a good training ground for new adults, assuming they've got all the essentials. We've rounded up everything your college kid needs to have in their dorm room, including everything for their bed, bathroom, kitchen, and more.
Before we get into our picks, here are some tips on what to buy:
- Know your dorm: How many roommates will you have? How much space is there? Do you even have a kitchen? Adjust accordingly.
- Talk to your roommates: If you talk to your roommate(s) before you shop, you can coordinate and figure out who's bringing what. My first roommates brought a mini fridge, a microwave, and a TV. All I brought was a suitcase and a duffle bag. It was a pretty good deal.
- Don't go overboard: Trust me, you don't need all those random things you think you'll need. The more stuff you buy, the more you have to carry back and forth for the next four years.
Living in a dorm is a crazy experience, but so long as you have the essentials, you'll be just fine. Read on to find our top picks for every dorm essential you can imagine.
Updated on 07/31/2019 by Malarie Gokey: Updated prices and formatting. Removed out-of-stock picks. Added links to relevant buying guides so you have more options.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.