The best craft kits for adults who want to learn a new hobby
The Insider Picks team writes about stuff we think you'll like. Business Insider has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase.
- Crafting isn't just for kids or super-creative types on Pinterest.
- There's a wide world of crafts out there, and the joy they bring leads not just to the satisfaction of being able to post, "Look at what I made!" on your social media profiles, but also to true pride in your own abilities.
- If it's been a while since you last took up some type of craft or a new hobby, we're here to help.
- Whether you are interested in learning to draw or canning up your own pickles, we've rounded up the best kits and supplies to get your new hobby up and running.
We get it: You're busy. Work, family, maintaining your home, occasional visits with friends … life has you up and running seemingly 24/7. That doesn't seem to leave much time for you, which is a shame, because taking a little time each day is one of the best things you can do for your physical and mental health.You could spend that "me time" on a Netflix binge, playing a game on your phone, or tossing things into a virtual shopping cart. Or, you could take up a new hobby that not only gives you a chance to develop your creativity, but also leads to a finished product that can continue to bring you joy every time you look at it or use it.
Plus, learning a new craft is the gift that keeps on giving. You get better as you continue to practice, you may well make new friends who share the same interest, and you are almost guaranteed to feel less stressed and more energized after spending time at your hobby.
Sometimes, though, it's hard to think of what you might want to try. That's why we rounded up a selection of craft kits and supplies for 10 popular crafts.
Here are the best craft kits for adults:
- Best fermenting and pickling kit: Easy Fermenter Wide Mouth Lid Kit
- Best book for learning crochet: Teach Yourself Visually Crochet
- Best book to learn how to sculpt: The Polymer Clay Techniques Book
- Best guide to hand lettering: Lettering and Modern Calligraphy: A Beginner's Guide
- Best beginners needlepoint kit: Dimensions Needlepoint Kit
- Best themed gardening kits: My DIY Garden
- Best book to teach yourself to draw: You Can Draw in 30 Days: The Fun, Easy Way to Learn to Draw in One Month or Less
- Best book for learning to paint with watercolors: Everyday Watercolor: Learn to Paint Watercolor in 30 Days
- Best kit for learning wool felting: Dimensions Feltworks Kit
- Best craft-of-the-month subscription: Craft in Style Box
Read on in the slides below to check out our top picks.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.