The best lightweight moisturizers for summer
- When the temperature and humidity rises in the summer, your skin produces more oil which can clog pores and lead to breakouts.
- You need a lightweight moisturizer such as water-based gel or oil-free lotion that will hydrate without feeling heavy on your skin.
- Farmacy Honey Drop Lightweight Moisturizer is our top overall pick because it hydrates intensely, and also delivers tons of antioxidants to protect skin.
With rising temperatures and humidity, your complexion can be more sticky and sweaty than gorgeous and glowing in the summer.
During winter, your skin is usually dry and dehydrated due to the cold air so you'd need heavier creams, but in summer, your face tends to be oilier than normal because heat and humidity cause an increase in oil production. However, heavier creams can spell disaster - clogging pores, causing breakouts, and adding to your already-shiny T-zone.
It's time to put the heavy creams away and instead use a good lightweight moisturizer to ensure your skin stays hydrated and healthy.I asked Joshua Zeichner, MD, Director of Cosmetic & Clinical Research in Dermatology at Mount Sinai in NYC, for tips on choosing the best moisturizer for summer. "Rather than heavy creams, stick to light lotions or gels which can easily be spread and don't feel sticky even in the summertime," he says. "When it comes to ingredients, look for light humectants like glycerin and hyaluronic acid that act like sponges to pull in water to the outer layer of the skin. The latest generation of facial moisturizers contains skin brightening and soothing botanicals, and deliver more than just hydrating benefits."
Help is at hand. After researching hundreds of consumer and expert reviews, and testing those favorites myself, I've come up with the best of the best.
Here are the best lightweight moisturizers to buy:
- Best lightweight moisturizer overall: Farmacy Honey Drop Lightweight Moisturizer
- Best lightweight SPF moisturizer: CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion AM with Sunscreen
- Best drugstore lightweight moisturizer: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel
- Best antiaging lightweight moisturizer: Tatcha The Water Cream
- Best lightweight moisturizer for sensitive skin: Caudalíe Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.