The gaokao is China's notoriously tough entrance exam, that can also get you into western universities - check out its punishing questions
- China's version of the American SAT and British A-level exams takes place in June every year.
- It's called the gaokao, and is known as one of the toughest exams in the world.
- Lots of western universities now take Chinese students based on their gaokao scores, rather than other standardized tests.
- Scroll down to see past questions.
The US, Europe, Australia, and Canada may see an influx of Chinese students in the coming years as more and more universities admit them based on China's notoriously tough national standardized test.
Earlier this month the University of New Hampshire became the first US state university to accept students based on their scores their scores in the gaokao, China's amped up version of the US SAT or British A-level exams.
Australia's University of Sydney, Canada's University of Toronto, Italy's Accademia delle Belle Arti di Firenze and some private US institutions also accept it.
VCG/VCG via Getty
The gaokao - which means "high exam" in Chinese - takes place over two days in June across the country every year. More than 9.7 million people across the country took it this year, the state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The subjects on the test vary by region but typically include the Chinese language, mathematics, and a foreign language (typically English), Xinhua said.
The hardest questions are the essays - which can range from the student's views on philosophy, history, the environment, and President Xi Jinping's policies.
Try and tackle 15 questions from past gaokao exams here:
Between June and August, a cruise ship travels from Fujian province to Venice, via Mumbai, as part of Xi's "21st century maritime silk road" strategy. Which of the following would it experience on the way?
President Xi has said that while art can release the wings of imagination, it should still be down-to-earth. There may be hundreds of ways to create art, but the best way is to have it take root in people's daily lives, and create something based off of that. From a materialist point of view, this is because (pick two of the statements below):
In a letter to James Madison in March 1787, George Washington wrote: "That a thorough reform of the present system is indispensable, none who have capacities to judge will deny — and with hand and heart I hope the business will be essayed in a full Convention." What does the "thorough reform" refer to?
Banks charge processing fees and interest when granting loans. They charge fees because of the services provided, such as account management. The reason for claiming interest is that:
Write an essay on how Thomas Edison would react to the mobile phone if he visited the 21st century.
In life, people are often eager to focus on their own needs, but also eager to be needed by others in order to realize their own self worth. The feeling of "being needed" is a common feeling, but what does it mean to you? Write an essay on this.
Write an essay on the following subject: "New era, new youths — growing up with the motherland's development."
Write a letter to the 18-year-olds of 2035.
Who is your favorite disciple of Confucius? Please pick one, and say why in 150 to 200 words.
Write an essay on this subject: "The picture of green mountains and clear water."
The containers for milk are always square boxes, containers for mineral water are always round bottles, and round wine bottle are usually placed in square boxes. Write an essay on the subtle philosophy of the round and square.
- Donald Trump supporters baffled and divided over his claim that Republicans won't vote in 2022 or 2024
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- Marjorie Taylor Greene has Zoom call silenced after 'irrelevant' impeachment testimony during hearing of Lt. Col. Stuart Scheller
- G7 leaders favour CBDCs provided they ‘support and do no harm’ to central banks
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Advantage Club Hiring
- Best Indian Companies
- Dussehra Messages
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- Nykaa IPO
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons