The most effective way to smile in dating app photos varies by gender - here are 5 tips on what photos to pick
Nathan McAloneApr 20, 2017, 09.58 PM
Read full story
Bryan Bedder / Stringer / Getty Images
Dating app Hinge analyzed its data to find out which types of shots proved most successful. Here are the most useful things they found:
- Smiling varies by gender. Hinge found that there was a gender difference when it came to the question of whether to smile with teeth or without teeth. Women smiling with teeth were 76% more likely to get a like than those smiling without teeth. For men, it was the opposite. Men smiling without teeth were 43% more likely to get a like than those smiling with teeth.
- Stop it with the selfies. Hinge found selfies were 40% less likely to receive a like.
- Get off the beach. For both genders, beach photos were relatively less likely to get a like, whereas sports photos were more likely to - to the tune of plus 75%.
- Let people see your eyes. Hinge found sunglasses pushed down your chances by 41%.
- The biggest downer was a potential rival. Posing with a "possible significant other" put a damper on likes, as it lowered your chances by 98%.