The most expensive and affordable states to buy a house, ranked
- Buying a house has become more expensive than ever - home prices have increased significantly since the 1960s, when the median price of a home was less than $100,000 in today's dollars.
- Today, the median home listing price in the US is nearly $280,000, according to Zillow, but that varies by state.
- We ranked the most affordable and most expensive places to buy a house according to median listing price.
The cost to buy a home has increased significantly since the 1960s, when the median price of a home was $11,900, or $96,681, when adjusted for inflation, according to a Student Loan Hero report. Today, the median home listing price in the US is $279,500, according to Zillow.But that number can vary depending on where you buy a home. Using data from Zillow, we took a look at the median home listing price in every state, including Washington, DC.
Below, see how much a typical house costs right now in every state, ranked from least to most expensive.
51. West Virginia
35. New Mexico
34. South DakotaAdvertisement
33. North Dakota
29. South Carolina
25. North Carolina
18. New HampshireAdvertisement
16. Rhode IslandAdvertisement
10. New JerseyAdvertisement
7. New York
2. Washington, DCAdvertisement
- Respite for slum dwellers along Delhi railway tracks as Centre tells SC that no coercive steps will be taken against them
- Farmers threaten to block highways after Haryana issues order to seal borders with Punjab for two days
- Telangana ready to administer Covid vaccine: KCR to PM
- Indian government has banned 220 Chinese apps so far – including PUBG Mobile, AliExpress, TikTok, ShareIt, and more
- upGrad acquires coaching institute The Gate Academy — says more acquisitions are on the cards