This Bangalore company just introduced a disruptive technology that could save 3.5 million babies from going blind
Every year, there are approximately 100,000 premature babies in India who suffer from blindness which can actually be cured if treated within 30 days of birth.
The leading cause of blindness in infants around the world and in India is due to Retinopathy of prematurity, or
And, yet there are hardly 100 ROP specialists nationwide to screen and treat this condition.
And, this is exactly what one Indian medical devices company wants to change with its disruptive technology.
Not only is it the most affordable ROP imaging device around, but it also enables remote diagnosis with its integrated telemedicine platform. It also boasts of skilfully designed optics, ergonomic natural grip for easy holding and its high reliability enhanced by a unique focusing and illumination system makes it an ideal choice for neonatal ICUs.
Commenting on the technology, Professor R.V Azad, former chief of RP Centre, New Delhi, said, ““ROP has become an epidemic of childhood blindness in India. We need affordable tools to detect the disease at the early stage to prevent blindness. Being affordable, low cost infant cameras like the Neo will enhance the accessibility of ROP screening in remote areas in the country.”
The company had also in the past successfully deployed thousands of its flagship adult retinal imaging device- 3 nethra classic in 25 countries.
Image credit: Indiatimes
- OPINION: “I would bet on Novovax,” a doctor’s take on how to make the COVID-19 vaccine jabs more effective
- Aishwarya Pissay, a champion motorcyclist, describes what it takes to ace the circuit
- Mandatory 14-days quarantine for Delhi residents returning from Kumbh Mela, says Delhi Disaster Management Authority
- Check out the youngest players in IPL 2021
- JEE Mains entrance exam postponed amid surge in COVID-19 cases