This is how Bharti, Vodafone will revolutionize Indian telecom with VoLTE
India’s two most well-known telcos are preparing to launch Voice over LTE (VoLTE) tech on their networks, with some help from
While the exact contract amounts for the deals are unknown, Jio offered $100 million to Nokia last year to roll out VoLTE across the country.
BI India decodes the hullabaloo with VoLTE.
What is this new VoLTE thing, and what’s it good for?
Easy, Soldier! VoLTE, or
What is LTE? What is IMS? God, you sound like the IT guy in our office! *Bangs head*
LTE stands for Long-Term Evolution. It’s basically 4G. Simple.
IMS (IP Multimedia Subsystem) is a standard framework that allows voice and data services over IP. Several apps and services already allow alternate methods ( Skype, Viber, etc). However, they have never been standardized across the industry. IMS can provide such standardization. That makes it safer and hopefully better.
How will this help me?
You can use more bandwidth to make 4G phone calls. This allows higher audio quality both ways. When you call someone who has VoLTE, you will immediately notice the difference. The calls connect faster if you are calling someone near you, and that’s cool.
Do I pay more for good calls now?
“Wherever Airtel has LTE network, subscribers will be able to do VoLTE call, once it launches VoLTE”, an official has apparently said.
Why do telcos want to invest in better calls?
VoLTE is extremely important for Indian telcos as they have to overcome stiff competition from VoIP (voice over internet protocol) and OTT (Over-The-Top, or apps).
While VoLTE and VoIP both use IP, VoLTE has huge advantages over
Great! Now I can use my 4G phone. When will this roll out?
An Airtel spokesperson has said, “We currently have no plans to launch VoLTE services as the device ecosystem supporting it is too nascent.”
Vodafone India and Nokia has declined to comment.
Looks like we will have to wait a few more months for formal announcements.
Image credit: Indiatimes
- Serum Institute may begin human trials of Oxford-AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine candidate from August 25
- HDFC Bank's Aditya Puri believes Sashidhar Jagdishan is the 'worthiest person' to succeed him
- How performance marketing is reinventing ROI?
- WeWork gets a new $1.1 billion cheque from SoftBank while it attempts resurrection – its India franchise is now offering discounts and a global all-access pass
- Supreme Court holds Prashant Bhushan guilty of Contempt of Court — punishment to be announced on August 20