Trader Joe's has a new competitor in the low-price grocery wars
There's a new competitor now that's almost as cheap: Whole Foods.Whole Foods' new chain, 365 by Whole Foods Market, is only about 4% more expensive than Trader Joe's - and that's not including 365's loyalty program discounts - according to a recent price check by Wedbush Securities.Advertisement
The first 365 location opened in Los Angeles last month.
Analysts compared a basket of about 100 items at 365 to a basket of similar items at nearby supermarkets including Trader Joe's, Sprouts Farmers Market, Vons Supermarket, and a traditional Whole Foods store.While 365 was slightly more expensive than Trader Joe's, it was 14% cheaper than Sprouts, 31% cheaper than Vons, and 23% cheaper than a traditional Whole Foods store.
The baskets cost $207 at 365, $199.03 at Trader Joe's, $241.54 at Sprouts, $299.50 at Vons, and $269.39 at Whole Foods.
Data from Wedbush Securities
365 was cheaper than all the other stores in every single category except meat, according to the study. 365 had an average premium of about 1% in the meat department compared to competitors.
"365 pricing appears to be doing its intended job: to become increasingly price competitive to small-format value-oriented peers," the analysts wrote.
- Air India Express plane crash lands in Kerala after overshooting the runway
- Best budget microwave ovens in India
- Best coffee mugs for cosy conversations & more
- First Man, Bandish Bandits— and other shows that you can watch on Netflix, Zee5, Disney+ Hotstar, and Amazon Prime
- A WhatsApp message, six weeks of talks and a $300 million deal – how Karan Bajaj sold his less than 18-month old startup White Hat Jr to Byju’s