Victoria's Secret Sparks Outrage With 'Perfect Body' Campaign
The slogan, which refers to the retailer's "Body" lingerie line, appears with images of Victoria's Secret angels on the company's website and in stores in the UK.
The ads have prompted a widespread backlash online and inspired the hashtag "#iamperfect" on Twitter.
"There is a line between aspiration and thinspiration, and this campaign clearly oversteps the mark," columnist Sarah Vine writes in The Daily Mail. "As for their use of the word 'perfect', it's not only offensive to the 99.9% of the female population who don't share the models' 'perfect' proportions, it's also deeply irresponsible, if not downright cruel."
More than 15,000 people have signed a petition calling on Victoria's Secret to apologize and terminate the campaign.
"Victoria's Secret's new advertisements play on women's insecurities and send out a damaging message" the petition says.
We reached out to Victoria's Secret for comment and will update when we hear back.
Here are some of the reactions from Twitter.
- 'Quiet quitting' is a bad idea, experts say. Here are 6 things you can do instead to get the same results if you're looking for better work-life balance – or to lighten your workload
- This pioneering regional OTT has turned profitable in 5 years – here’s how
- A man's cancer vanished after he was injected with a weakened herpes virus in a promising clinical trial
- Fresh threats to Mukesh Ambani and family, Reliance Foundation hospital
- Will consider Kerala govt proposal for World Peace Conference: Nobel Peace Centre
- Seven dead, several others feared missing following flash floods in West Bengal's Jalpaiguri district
- OPEC+ to cut oil output by 2 million bpd from November
- India Inc's foreign commercial borrowings rise by 4.6% in August
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World