Walmart has reportedly lured away two Goldman Sachs bankers to help lead its new fintech venture
Walmarthas reportedly poached two Goldman Sachsbankers to help it run its new fintechventure.
- The retailer announced a partnership with Ribbit Capital to offer financial products in January.
- Walmart's latest move represents a commitment to forging a path in the financial world.
As Walmart looks to launch a fintech startup, the retailer is turning to Wall Street veterans to help it move into the banking world.
Walmart Inc. has picked up two senior bankers from Goldman Sachs to help lead the retailer's new fintech startup arm, Bloomberg reported on Sunday. Omer Ismail, the head of Goldman's consumer bank, and David Stark, one of his top lieutenants, will leave the
"Walmart's newly-announced fintech joint venture with Ribbit Capital will provide myriad growth opportunities, with the leveraging of its massive customer base at the center of the initiative," Moody's Vice-President and Senior Credit Officer Charlie O'Shea, said in a note to investors, Insider reported previously. "Walmart has been slowly and tactically expanding its financial service offerings to its customers, and measured expansion of these capabilities makes sense as it will deepen these all-important customer relationships."Walmart's latest move represents a commitment to forging a path in the financial world. The retailer could also possibly have an advantage by eventually using its thousands of stores to market its new product and display advertisements to a large array of customers.
In February, Walmart reported $152.1 billion in total sales, up over 7.3% year over year.Walmart and Goldman Sachs did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
- On Earth Day, companies commit to adopt more sustainable practices in an attempt to safeguard our tomorrow
- Tiger Global makes its first crypto investment in India making Coinswitch Kuber worth half a billion dollars
- Best pulse oximeters to keep a check on your SpO2 readings
- Poaching doubled during the lockdown in India due to the 'three F's', and these are the animals most under threat
- Android 12 Developer Preview 3: All the upcoming user-facing features revealed