Wendy's jumps into the chicken sandwich Twitter feud between Popeyes and Chick-fil-A
Irene Jiang / Business Insider
- Chick-fil-A and Popeyes are feuding on Twitter over which chain has the superior chicken sandwich.
- On Monday afternoon, Wendy's entered the fray, tweeting: "Y'all out here fighting about which of these fools has the second best chicken sandwich."
- Popeyes responded to the subtweet by calling Wendy's "thirsty."
- Meanwhile, Boston Market took to Twitter to criticize Chick-fil-A's mac and cheese.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Wendy's is entering the Twitter battle over which fried chicken sandwich reigns supreme.
On Monday, Chick-fil-A's apparent subtweet of Popeyes' new fried chicken sandwich set off a social media frenzy.
"Bun + Chicken + Pickles = all the ❤️ for the original," Chick-fil-A tweeted.
Popeyes - which recently rolled out a new fried chicken sandwich - quote-tweeted it, adding: "... y'all good?"
Twitter exploded with a debate over the battle between Chick-fil-A and Popeyes fried chicken sandwiches following the exchange. Neither brand responded to Business Insider's request for further comment on the social media feud.
Later on Monday, Wendy's decided that it needed to add its two cents to the chicken sandwich conversation.
"Y'all out here fighting about which of these fools has the second best chicken sandwich," Wendy's tweeted on Monday afternoon.
Popeyes felt the need to respond to the second subtweet of the day.
"Sounds like someone just ate one of our biscuits. Cause y'all looking thirsty," Popeyes tweeted.
Wendy's quote-tweeted Popeyes' tweet, adding: "lol, guess that means the food's as dry as the jokes."
Unlike Popeyes, Chick-fil-A has kept a low profile on Twitter following Popeyes' quote tweet. However, Boston Market decided to attack the chicken chain on another front: Chick-fil-A's new mac and cheese.
"Customer: Can I get something like Boston Market mac & cheese but mediocre? Other guys: My pleasure," Boston Market tweeted, a clear reference to Chick-fil-A's customer service policies.
Wendy's and Boston Market did not immediately respond to Business Insider's request for comment on the subtweets.
With Chick-fil-A's rapid US expansion, the question of what chain makes the best sandwich is more important than ever. The chicken chain became the third-largest chain in the US by sales in 2018 with $10.46 billion in American system-wide sales and is steadily expanding, with plans to open its first store in Canada by the end of the year.
Business Insider's Irene Jiang has taste-tested fried chicken sandwiches from Wendy's, Chick-fil-A, and Popeyes, as well as mac and cheese from Chick-fil-A and Boston Market, in recent weeks. Her verdict: Popeyes' chicken sandwich reigns supreme, but Chick-fil-A's mac and cheese edges out Boston Market.
Y'all out here fighting about which of these fools has the second best chicken sandwich. pic.twitter.com/4v9RJFgy0T- WENDY'S SPICY NUGGETS ARE BACK!!! (@Wendys) August 19, 2019
Sounds like someone just ate one of our biscuits. Cause y'all looking thirsty. https://t.co/89eqI5vk2z- Popeyes Chicken (@PopeyesChicken) August 20, 2019
lol, guess that means the food's as dry as the jokes https://t.co/aX3XnRunNW- WENDY'S SPICY NUGGETS ARE BACK!!! (@Wendys) August 20, 2019
Customer: Can I get something like Boston Market mac & cheese but mediocre?- Boston Market (@bostonmarket) August 19, 2019
Other guys: My pleasure
- It's Sitharaman's shortest-ever budget speech, during which PM thumped his desk 124 times
- Some of Adani Group's debt funded capex projects are discretionary, can be deferred: ICRA
- Budget strengthens fundamental pillars of inclusivity, sustainability: FICCI
- EVs that import parts to get costlier as Budget gives a boost to in-house manufacturing
- On the right course – a growth-oriented Budget