A 7-year-old Denny Hamlin wrote a letter saying he wanted to be a Daytona 500 champion when he grows up
Jared C. Tilton/Getty Images
Denny Hamlin won his first Daytona 500 on Sunday with a final-lap surge that was one for the ages. It turns out Hamlin has been dreaming about this since he was in elementary school.
Shortly after the race, Hamlin's mother posted a photo of a letter written by Hamlin in 1987, according to Fox, when he was seven years old. The letter appears to be a typical school assignment in which the children are asked what they want to be when they grow up.
Hamlin's answer? A Daytona 500 champion. Why? Because at seven years old, Hamlin just loved racing.
Here is the letter:
The letter reads as follows:
The Daytona 500
My wish is to win the Daytona 500. If I won the Daytona 500, I would like it to come true on February 17, 1998. My car would be red, white, blue and gold. Just like Bill Elliott's car. If I do win the Daytona 500, I could win 1,000,000 dollars. My crew chief would be Gary Barden and my tire changer would be Ernie Elliott. The reason for all of this is because I love racing.
Hamlin was a little off with the year, the color of his car, and the makeup of his pit crew, but he got the important part right - he is now a Daytona 500 champion.
- I'm a 56-year-old IT worker who got laid off last year and have been unemployed ever since. I have a hunch I'm not finding work due to ageism. How do I prove it?
- Germany relaxes Schengen visa rules for Indians
- Kanye West says he's selling Balenciaga, Adidas, and Gap hoodies for $20 after the companies all cut ties with him
- Revenge spending effect: Household savings dip to 5 -year low
- With no signs yet of inflation cooling, experts predict more rate hikes
- Covid hit mental health of kids, young people harder than thought
- Smog envelops Delhi, AQI remains in 'very poor' category
- Egypt president to be chief guest at Republic Day celebrations
- Tata Aviation
- Visa Platinum Prepaid Card
- Interest Rate on Deposits
- Uniparts IPO
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- tata Consumer
- Asus new Desktop
- Sandhya Devanathans
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Small Cap Companies
- India Pharma
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World