A Birchbox executive used these 5 habits to become a morning person
From college until my early 30s, my morning routine felt oddly similar to pulling teeth.
Most days, it went something like this: an alarm, a series of snoozes, a stumble to the shower, a stop at the mirror to fix my hair, and a hasty exit.
I always paid attention to how I presented myself, but mornings were little more than a necessary evil.
Since then, my life has undergone some dramatic changes, and my routine has followed suit.
I co-founded and sold a tech startup, going through a tremendous amount of stress in the process. I took the advice of a dear friend and attended a weekend retreat on meditation. I started a new career as the VP of Birchbox Man.
I got engaged and was reminded that life is short, and love is always better when you share good habits and values. I bought a house with my partner in upstate New York, surrounded by organic farms and local food.
These experiences helped me realize that all the little things - the ones I deemed insignificant - could have a major impact on my health and well-being.
With that said, here are the five things I do 365 days a year. I did not arrive at them overnight. I discovered them along the way, and they have shifted my mornings from a sleepy blur to a clear awakening.
1. Hot Water With Lemon
2. 20 Minutes of Meditation
Sit comfortably with your eyes closed for twenty minutes. I practice Vedic meditation myself, and this regular practice has made my mind calmer, more alert, and ready to handle anything the day may bring.
3. 5 Tibetans
My partner and I share a love of our yoga teacher ShivaRam, who taught us these exercises, and we perform them together each morning.
4. PLANT Face Oil
I know it seems counterintuitive, but trust me. A face oil will regulate your skin's own oil production, resulting in a matte, healthy complexion.
I've had the pleasure of trying hundreds of skincare products since becoming the head of Birchbox Man, where we deliver a personalized box of gear and grooming essentials to guys for $20 a month. This is all natural and one of my favorites.
5. Morning Smoothie Made in 5 Minutes
Here is my favorite recipe: coconut water, banana, blueberries, kale, bee pollen, almond butter, and ice. Treat yourself and buy a Vitamix!
The Success Series is a collection of the best advice from some of our favorite writers, thinkers, and leaders. This week, we asked: "What is your morning routine?" See other articles in the series here.
- A student who accidentally became a millionaire with a cult following after selling his expressionless selfies as NFTs says he feels confused
- After 10-minute grocery delivery, a 15-minute ambulance service grabs investor interest
- Fortune oil maker Adani Wilmar is looking to acquire southern players in edible oil, FMCG industry
- India pays USD 29.9 million in UN regular budget assessments for 2022
- Budget Session Part I: Rajya Sabha to sit in morning, Lok Sabha in evening due to Covid restrictions
- Best 65-inch smart LED TV in India
- Budget Session Part I: Different timings for Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha in view of Covid
- Smriti Mandhana named ‘ICC Women’s Cricketer 2021’; Here’s a look at her achievements so far